HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Some Astronomy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Manning
Admin

PostSubject: Some Astronomy   Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:27 am

What you guys prolly didn't know about me is that for the past year and a half i've dabbled in the art amateur astronomy.

*Thats looking at celestial objects in the sky, stars, planets, constellations, nebulae etc. NOT that bullshit astrology and fortune telling*

I got my first telescope around a 2 years ago, not an overly powerfull one, was good for looking at very local things, the Moon, Sun and Jupiter for example and was good for constellation and star viewing.

A few weeks ago I purchased my second telescope, this one certainly means business and is a serious piece of kit, its well over 100% more powerful than my first one, its computerized, so finding things is much easier.

In the few good clear nights i've had, i've seen some wonderous things I could never see with my first scope, the main one being Saturn, in great detail.

Now i've got to grips with my new kit, i'm starting to move onto my next goal in the worl of astronomy, and that is astro-photography. I had a clear night last night, and I started very nervously and slowly into this venture, on the photography site I have very basic yet fairly useful kit to start with, a webcam and a laptop.

So with just a modified webcam (lens screwed out and fitted with a nozzle to fit into the telescope eyepiece), I took my first image (and only one) of our nearest neighbor, the Moon.

What your looking at is the Mare Crisium (or Sea of Crisis), one of the many plains on the moon created by ancient volcanic eruptions. You can see a number of large impact craters to the south west (Pierce) and on the west side (Picard) of the mare.

Yeh, its not great, its my first try, but with pretty much winging my way through the process, it isn't bad. The process isn't as easy as just taking one image, this picture is actually a composite of around 200 frames of video, it should be more, I was suppose to take a 30 second video, for some reason it only took 16. After processing the image and getting rid off the bad frames there wasn't much left. It was also pretty windy and the scope was wabbling constantly, so the software did ok to get a semi focused and stable picture.

I'm going to have another go at it soon, clear sky's willing and will post what I get. Will share a few here for a while and will prolly start my own blog or something soon, or at least post my images on astronomy websites.

Tiki
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some Astronomy   Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:30 am

Nice one Manni. I put in a request for something more colourful as the next picture! I dont know much about space though really so idk how possible that is...

Linkshell Leader

PostSubject: Re: Some Astronomy   Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:33 pm

nice manni i like it sounds to tecgnical for me tho still gj fella i look forward to see what you post next Very Happy

Manning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some Astronomy   Sun May 01, 2011 12:43 pm

How about some Saturn?

Taken on the 10th April this was my first EVER picture of a planet, taken pretty much the same way as the moon, this was about 1200 frams of video, stacked together to make one image. Very happy as a first try, you easly make out the storm bands on the planet and of course the rings of Saturn, look close near the point of each side of the ring you can see and fient curved black line, this is called the Cassini Division, if you can see that, you have a good pic. x2 manification lense + the camera.

12th of April, this was using just the camera with no extra magnification, and a lower exposure, which is why its not as bright, this is more what it looks like with your eye's through the telescope.

17th April, once again with x2 magnification + camera, and a lower exposure and my best picture to date, Cassini Division is more visible.

And lasty a one more moon pic.

8th April.

Tiki
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some Astronomy   Mon May 02, 2011 2:05 am

Pretty cool Manni, pretty cool.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some Astronomy   Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:38 pm

Jupiter, taken early hours of Monday morning.

Pretty good picture considering the focus wasn't perfect, Jupiter and 3 of its moons clearly visible. Jupiter red storm belts clearly visible.

The moon on the left is Europa
The moon to the immediate right of Jupiter is Io (pronounced "Eye-oh")
The moon to the far right, almost off the edge of the picture is Ganymede

Had some with double magnification but I couldn't get the focus quite right.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Astronomy   

Back to top Go down

Some Astronomy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheNewFantasyOrder :: Videos, Music and Fun :: Talk-
Jump to: